The Olive Wellness InstituteTM is a social responsibility venture, sponsored by Boundary Bend Limited and informed by an independent scientific Advisory Panel, with a mission to promote the dissemination of credible science related to Extra Virgin Olive Oil and other products derived from the olive tree.
Boundary Bend Limited is a leading producer of premium Extra Virgin Olive Oil with olive groves and olive mills in Australia and California USA, and owns Australia’s leading olive oil brands Cobram Estate and Red Island.
Through the Olive Wellness InstituteTM, Boundary Bend Limited will help to educate, empower collaboration and grow the body of health-related evidence for olive products.
This project is also partially funded by Hort Innovation, using the Olive Fund research and development levy and contributions from the Australian Government. Hort Innovation is the grower owned, not-for-profit research and development corporation for Australian horticulture.
The strategic levy investment project Educating Health Professionals about Australian Olive Products OL17002 is part of the Hort Innovation Olive Fund.
The Olive Wellness InstituteTM is a science repository on the nutrition, health and wellness benefits of olives and olive products, which is all subject to extensive peer review. The institute is guided by scientific experts that specialise in the nutrition, health and wellness benefits related to olive products.
This website is intended to be the go to source of credible information relating to the nutrition, health and wellness benefits of olives and olive products, such as Extra Virgin Olive Oil and other products derived from the olive tree.
Olive Health and Wellness
The olive tree is nature’s ancient source of health and wellness – it is naturally rich in healthy compounds. It is one of the oldest known cultivated trees in the world, and in many countries has been used for various health and wellness purposes since antiquity.
To increase awareness of Extra Virgin Olive Oil and other olive products by gathering, sharing and promoting expert, credible and evidence-based information on their nutrition, health and wellness benefits.
We have joined True Health Initiative (THI), a global voice for lifestyle as medicine. In doing so, we publicly and proudly align our organizational values with the core principles of healthy living and with a commitment to the THI vision. THI exists to make the fundamental truths about healthy, sustainable living and eating common knowledge. Shifting the global understanding of practices that most likely help people live longer and envision a world with less chronic disease. As a member organization, we are helping build a movement that supports individuals and communities in directing their resources toward this goal.
Decades of published research support six core lifestyle principles that most effectively add years to lives, and life to years.
- A diet comprised mostly of minimally processed, generally plant-predominant foods in time-honored, balanced combinations (e.g., traditional diets of certain Mediterranean populations, certain Asian populations, etc.);
- Routine physical activity at moderate intensity, frequency and duration;
- The avoidance of toxins, particularly tobacco and excess alcohol;
- Sleep adequate in both quantity and quality;
- The effective mitigation of psychological stress;
- The cultivation of meaningful, supportive relationships and strong social bonds.
By joining the True Health Initiative, we commit to upholding these principles and being a role model through education and information sharing.
- There is massive, global consensus among leading experts about the fundamentals of healthy, sustainable eating and its effect on chronic conditions
- The consensus is based on the overall scientific evidence, not any one study
- The prevailing view of experts worldwide does not change every time a new study is published; the consensus of experts is informed by the relevant science as it accumulates
- The same basic dietary pattern (theme) most reliably associated with human health benefit is ALSO reliably associated with benefit to the planet, in measures from sustainability to biodiversity
- The goal of the True Health Initiative is to overcome the pseudo-discord and pseudo-confusion, and convey to the public that real experts around the world agree far more than they disagree, and overwhelmingly agree about the evidence-based fundamentals of healthy, sustainable eating/living
Call to Action:
People who are convinced of the value of our efforts should join as members. People can also support us with tax-deductible donations or look to us as THE authoritative source on the key principles of healthy sustainable eating/living.
We have joined Naturopaths and Herbalists Association of Australia (nhaa), Australia’s oldest professional association of complementary therapists. Representing Western herbalists and naturopaths. The only national professional association specifically concerned with the practice and education of Western herbal medicine (WHM) in Australia. By joining nhaa we align our vision with theirs – to continue the integration of traditional medicine and evolving science.