All food will deteriorate over time. For example, fresh fruits and vegetables can ferment, and fats and oils will go rancid.
There are concerns that consuming rancid fats and oils is damaging to health. Whilst more research is needed to establish impact of long-term consumption of rancid fats and oils, this report discusses some of the current evidence, factors that contribute to an oil becoming rancid and common sources of rancid oils.
Access full report HERE
View article references
- Velasco J, Dobarganes C and Márquez-Ruiz G. 1 - Oxidative rancidity in foods and food quality. In: Skibsted LH, Risbo J and Andersen ML (eds) Chemical Deterioration and Physical Instability of Food and Beverages. Woodhead Publishing, 2010, pp.3-32.
- Grant R and Guest J. Role of Omega-3 PUFAs in Neurobiological Health. Advances in neurobiology 2016; 12: 247-274. 2016/09/22. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-28383-8_13.
- Choe E and Min DB. Mechanisms and factors for edible oil oxidation. Comprehensive reviews in food science and food safety 2006; 5: 169-186.
- Maszewska M, Florowska A, Dłużewska E, et al. Oxidative Stability of Selected Edible Oils. Molecules (Basel, Switzerland) 2018; 23: 1746. DOI: 10.3390/molecules23071746.
- Healthline. How to use carrier oils, https://www.healthline.com/health/carrier-oil (2017, accessed 17/06/19 2019).
- Bakry AM, Abbas S, Ali B, et al. Microencapsulation of Oils: A Comprehensive Review of Benefits, Techniques, and Applications. Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety 2016; 15: 143-182. DOI: 10.1111/1541-4337.12179.
- Callaway JC. Hempseed as a nutritional resource: An overview. 2004, p.65-72.
- Bailey RL, Gahche JJ, Miller PE, et al. Why US adults use dietary supplements. JAMA Intern Med 2013; 173: 355-361. 2013/02/06. DOI: 10.1001/jamainternmed.2013.2299.
- Heller M, Gemming L, Tung C, et al. Oxidation of fish oil supplements in Australia. International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition 2019; 70: 540-550. DOI: 10.1080/09637486.2018.1542666.
- Jackowski SA, Alvi AZ, Mirajkar A, et al. Oxidation levels of North American over-the-counter n-3 (omega-3) supplements and the influence of supplement formulation and delivery form on evaluating oxidative safety. Journal of nutritional science 2015; 4: e30. 2015/12/22. DOI: 10.1017/jns.2015.21.
- Ritter JC, Budge SM and Jovica F. Quality analysis of commercial fish oil preparations. J Sci Food Agric 2013; 93: 1935-1939. 2012/12/21. DOI: 10.1002/jsfa.5994.
- Opperman M and Benade S. Analysis of the omega-3 fatty acid content of South African fish oil supplements: a follow-up study. Cardiovascular journal of Africa 2013; 24: 297-302. 2013/11/19. DOI: 10.5830/cvja-2013-074.
- Albert BB, Derraik JGB, Cameron-Smith D, et al. Fish oil supplements in New Zealand are highly oxidised and do not meet label content of n-3 PUFA. Scientific Reports 2015; 5: 7928. Article. DOI: 10.1038/srep07928.
- Lease EJ, Lease JG, Weber J, et al. Destruction of Vitamin A by Rancid Fats. The Journal of Nutrition 1938; 16: 571-583. DOI: 10.1093/jn/16.6.571.
- Cummings MJ and Mattill HA. The Auto-Oxidation of Fats with Reference to Their Destructive Effect on Vitamin E. The Journal of Nutrition 1931; 3: 421-432. DOI: 10.1093/jn/3.4.421.
- Matveychuk D, M. Dursun S, Wood P, et al. Reactive Aldehydes and Neurodegenerative Disorders. 2011.
- Pizzimenti S, Ciamporcero E, Daga M, et al. Interaction of aldehydes derived from lipid peroxidation and membrane proteins. Front Physiol 2013; 4: 242. 2013/09/13. DOI: 10.3389/fphys.2013.00242.
- Cruz-Haces M, Tang J, Acosta G, et al. Pathological correlations between traumatic brain injury and chronic neurodegenerative diseases. Translational neurodegeneration 2017; 6: 20. 2017/07/14. DOI: 10.1186/s40035-017-0088-2.
- Li J, Li X, Cai W, et al. Comparison of different polar compounds-induced cytotoxicity in human hepatocellular carcinoma HepG2 cells. Lipids Health Dis 2016; 15: 30. 2016/02/18. DOI: 10.1186/s12944-016-0201-z.
- Esterbauer H. Cytotoxicity and genotoxicity of lipid-oxidation products. Am J Clin Nutr 1993; 57: 779S-785S; discussion 785S-786S. 1993/05/01. DOI: 10.1093/ajcn/57.5.779S.
- Albert BB, Vickers MH, Gray C, et al. Oxidized fish oil in rat pregnancy causes high newborn mortality and increases maternal insulin resistance. American Journal of Physiology-Regulatory, Integrative and Comparative Physiology 2016; 311: R497-R504. DOI: 10.1152/ajpregu.00005.2016.
- Albert BB, Cameron-Smith D, Hofman PL, et al. Oxidation of marine omega-3 supplements and human health. Biomed Res Int 2013; 2013: 464921. 2013/06/06. DOI: 10.1155/2013/464921.
- Kishawy AT, Omar AE and Gomaa AM. Growth performance and immunity of broilers fed rancid oil diets that supplemented with pomegranate peel extract and sage oil. 2016, p.S31-S38.
- Myhrstad MC, Ottestad I, Gunther CC, et al. The PBMC transcriptome profile after intake of oxidized versus high-quality fish oil: an explorative study in healthy subjects. Genes & nutrition 2016; 11: 16. 2016/08/24. DOI: 10.1186/s12263-016-0530-6.
- Garcia-Hernandez VM, Gallar M, Sanchez-Soriano J, et al. Effect of omega-3 dietary supplements with different oxidation levels in the lipidic profile of women: a randomized controlled trial. Int J Food Sci Nutr 2013; 64: 993-1000. 2013/07/19. DOI: 10.3109/09637486.2013.812619.
- Turner R, McLean CH and Silvers KM. Are the health benefits of fish oils limited by products of oxidation? Nutr Res Rev 2006; 19: 53-62. 2006/06/01. DOI: 10.1079/nrr2006117.
- Feng BJ, Jalbout M, Ayoub WB, et al. Dietary risk factors for nasopharyngeal carcinoma in Maghrebian countries. International journal of cancer 2007; 121: 1550-1555. 2007/06/22. DOI: 10.1002/ijc.22813.