Get the taste of the Middle East in your own home – developed by Pharmacist and Nutritionist Sarah Gray, join her in making these healthy falafels for you and your family.
500 g dried chickpeas (soaked in water overnight)
Half a bunch of spring onions roughly chopped/ or 1 medium onion chopped
2 tablespoons dried Italian herbs
4 cloves garlic
1 1/2 tbsp flour or chickpea flour
1 1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp dried coriander leaves
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
Pinch of ground cardamom
EVOO for frying
- Add all ingredients into a large blender bowl and mix until it becomes like a cous cous consistency. Do not mix too far as it will become a thin hummus which will not work.
- Place in the fridge for 30 mins to 1 hour.
- Remove from fridge, and heat up a deep fry pan with EVOO for medium – shallow frying
- Make small balls in your hand (wet your hands and keep spare mixture in the fridge in between frying batches, as it makes it easier to form balls)
- Fry on each side for 3-4 minutes (gently turning)
- Place on some paper towel once cooked to drain any excess oil.
- Will make 22-24 falafel’s
Serve with yoghurt flatbreads
1 & ¼ warm water
2 & ¼ teaspoons dried yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
¾ cup Greek yoghurt
2 tablespoons EVOO
1 tablespoon salt
3 & ¾ cups plain flour
2 tablespoons dried herbs (basil, thyme, oregano – your choice)
- Combine yeast, sugar and water and rest for 5-10 minutes
- Whisk yoghurt, EVOO and salt
- Mix flour, herbs, yoghurt mixture and yeast mixture and knead for 3-4 mins on a well-floured board
- Divide in 10 pieces and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Roll into rounds and brush with EVOO, placing in a frypan, brush other side before flipping. Flip when they start to bubble.
- Keep warm in a wrapped tea towel.