• 450g ripe tomatoes roughly chopped
• 1 large clove garlic, peeled and chopped
• 4–5 large spring onions, trimmed and chopped
• 1 medium-sized red pepper, seeded and chopped
• 10cm cucumber, roughly chopped
• 450mL chilled tomato passato
• Juice of 1 lemon
• 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 5cm cucumber, diced
• red or green pepper, diced
• 1 tbsp chopped onion
• Sprigs of fresh coriander
• Ice cubes
1. Place the tomatoes in a blender with the garlic and process for about a minute. Add the rest of the vegetables and process again until you reach the consistency you prefer. Over-processing may make give an unpleasant texture to the mixture.
2. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and stir in the rest of the ingredients.
Mix well and place in the fridge to chill for 15 to 20 minutes.
3. Prepare the garnishes and place in small bowls. Keep on one side.
4. Just before serving stir the ice cubes into the soup. Serve the garnishes separately with more extra virgin olive oil, allowing everyone to help themselves.