– 1/4 cup, extra virgin olive oil
– 500-600g chicken thigh (without skin and kept whole)
– 1 small brown onion, finely diced
– 1 clove garlic, minced
– ½ cup red wine or port
– 2 TB tomato paste
– 400g can, crushed tomatoes
– 1 tsp, sugar
– Salt & Pepper, to taste
– 1 cinnamon quill
– 3 bay leaves
– 3 cloves, whole
– ¾ -1 cup, water
– 300g frozen peas
– ½ bunch of parsley, finely chopped
- Place a large sized pot over a medium heat and add the extra virgin olive oil to warm. Add the chicken pieces in 2 batches and seal on both sides. Remove the chicken and set aside.
- In the same pot, add the onion to sweat it out until it softens and turns translucent; this will take a minute or two, then add the garlic and cook for another minute. Return the chicken back to the pot, add the tomato paste, stir gently, and allow it to cook out for a minute.
- Add the wine or the port to deglaze the bottom of the pot and let the alcohol evaporate a little.
- Continue with the crushed tomato, sugar, salt, pepper, and spices.
- Add enough hot water to cover the chicken and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot with the lid and let it simmer for about 35 minutes before adding the peas and cooking for another 25 minutes, checking water levels every now and then.
- The chicken is ready when it is very tender. Just before serving add in the chopped parsley.