1 kg tomatoes
2 eating apples (cored and quartered)
2 onions (peeled and quartered)
100 g pitted dates
2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
100 mL cider vinegar
4 tbsp good quality balsamic vinegar of Modena
1/2 tsp mustard seed
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
Pinch of allspice
1. Place all the tomatoes in a blender with the apples, onions
and dates and process until well chopped.
2. Heat the Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a pan, add the chopped
mixture and cook for 5 minutes over a medium heat.
3. Add the vinegars and spices. Return to the boil and simmer
for about 1 hour until the mixture thickens, stirring from time
to time to stop it sticking to the pan.
4. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
5. Store in sterilised jam jars. It will last for 6 months stored in
a cool, dry place. Once opened, store in fridge and use
within 3 months.
NOTE: MAKES 3 X 300 G JARS