Yemista (Stuffed Vegetables)
Prep Time- 20 minutes
Whole Time- 1 hour 45 minutes
- 2 ¼ cups brown rice
- 1L vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 3 potatoes, washed and peeled, cut into wedges
- 2 cups passata
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Additional extra virgin olive to serve
- Slice the tops of the capsicums, tomatoes and eggplants (3/4 of the way from the top) leaving a lid on top.
- Using a teaspoon, scoop the flesh from the tomatoes and eggplants and finely chop the flesh. Discard the seeds from the capsicums. Add a pinch of salt to each eggplant shell toprevent browning.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan and sauté the onions and garlic until onions become translucent.
- Add flesh from tomatoes and eggplant, parsley, oregano, spices and rice and stir for 1 minute. Slowly add vegetable stock and tomato paste and stir together.
- Bring the mixture to a gentle boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 40 minutes or until all the stock is absorbed (the rice will be al dente at this point, but it will continue to cook in the oven).
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Spoon the rice mixture into the vegetable shells, cover with the vegetable lids and place in a large roasting tray.
- Scatter the potato wedges between the stuffed vegetables.
- In a mixing bowl, combine passata, water, oil and thyme.
- Evenly pour the tomato sauce over the vegetables and potatoes. Season to taste.
- Cover the tray with foil and bake for 60 minutes or until vegetables and golden and tender. Remove the foil covering after 30 minutes.
- Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil prior to serving. Serve alongside your preferred protein source.
Other recipes you may like